Meeting 2013 05 10

From PCGen
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

PCGen Board of Director Meeting - May 10th, 2013

Non-Quorum

Attending:

  • Chair - Andrew
  • Code - James
  • PR/Ad - David

Summary:

  • Release of next 6.0 will be after Bestiary 3 and Advanced Races are completed (Giving two month estimate time frame)
  • James will release next development this next weekend (May 19th) after finishing up some Code Blocker issues
  • James will submit a ticket to SF regarding the SSH support and ask to have HTTPS give the same updates to ease new developers into our project
  • Discussed GIT vs. SVN and anything that may be hindering new volunteers from helping out.
  • Andrew will follow up with new volunteers to see if they need assistance and get them started
  • Andrew expressed concerns over Data and gave an overview of his efforts (Crossblooded sorcerer wasn't easily expanded, so he spent a great deal of time re-doing that; and effort to complete Advanced Races and Bestiary 3)
  • James proposed a Character Migration Project for versioning. (He'll submit a proper proposal on _Exp)
  • James solicited what projects Data would like to see worked on
  • PR team needs to follow up for updates on the ENNIES, and get our supporters to VOTE for us :)
  • David to follow up with Alluria Publishing and seek permission to include their Book "Remarkable Races".
  • James requested a Time Change due to Daylight Savings in Australia (All present agreed); Andrew mentioned his schedule is due to change in July
  • Andrew would like follow up for Web update for a Forum/Mailing list (Need to follow up with Anestis)
  • Andrew fielded an observer question regarding inclusion of feats in the production release.
  • James mentioned he met with the Atlassian folks (creators of JIRA) - he expressed how cool it was.
  • James will update JIRA to their version 6 when it's released.

Raw Log:

  • [14:11] <@[Chair]Drew> *Bangs gavel*
  • [14:12] <@[Chair]Drew> Welcome everyone to our Non-Quorum Board of Directors Meeting on May 10th, 2013 at 1412 hours (PDT)
  • [14:12] <@[Chair]Drew> Our Agenda for this meeting is:
  • [14:12] <@[Chair]Drew> 1) Release Schedule of PCGen 6.0 Branch
  • [14:12] <@[Chair]Drew> 2) Release Schedule of Development line
  • [14:12] <@[Chair]Drew> 3) Concerns about Data or Code
  • [14:13] <@[Chair]Drew> 4) PR Updates for Ennies and other news
  • [14:13] <@[Chair]Drew> 5) Open Forum
  • [14:13] <@[Chair]Drew> *********
  • [14:13] <@[Chair]Drew> Let's begin with James
  • [14:13] * @[Chair]Drew hands talking stick to James
  • [14:13] <James[Code_SB]> ok,
  • [14:14] <James[Code_SB]> 6.0 branch releases - we got the new production release (6.0.1) out on 29 April
  • [14:14] <James[Code_SB]> It was a nice solid stability release
  • [14:15] <James[Code_SB]> At this stage there is no further schedule for another 6.0 release but it can things are still being ported back as needed in case we do one in the future
  • [14:15] *** Rallaster has joined #pcgen
  • [14:15] <@[Chair]Drew> I'll ask for another once the flurry dies down
  • [14:15] <James[Code_SB]> The most likely driver for such a release would be advanced races guide support I would expect
  • [14:15] <@[Chair]Drew> I've back ported several issue fixes and updates that would be nice for 6.0
  • [14:16] <@[Chair]Drew> and once I finish the Bestiary 3 with Advanced Races we'll definitely want another 6.0 release
  • [14:16] <James[Code_SB]> For sure - I am guessing that is a month or two away then
  • [14:16] <@[Chair]Drew> Approximately yes.
  • [14:16] <@[Chair]Drew> I've been altering my method for bulk updates, but the Bestiary 3 is a *beast*
  • [14:17] <James[Code_SB]> On the 6.1 side we are overdue for an alpha release
  • [14:17] <@[Chair]Drew> That said, 6.02 is definitely a must once all that is dealt with.
  • [14:17] <James[Code_SB]> However I've had two blockers in code to clean up before I was comfortable putting out  new alpha
  • [14:17] <@[Chair]Drew> two code blockers?
  • [14:18] <James[Code_SB]> They were ordering of equipment - - it was half implemented and causing problems - and the chooser rewrite which is causing problems for kits
  • [14:18] <James[Code_SB]> I've completed the largest portion of the equipment change last night (finally) and it is stable again
  • [14:19] <@[Chair]Drew> awesome work there
  • [14:19] <James[Code_SB]> thanks
  • [14:19] <James[Code_SB]> So I'll complete that one, then get back to the choosers in kits issue and we should be right to put out 6.01.02
  • [14:19] <James[Code_SB]> That will probably be next weekend (Sun 19th)
  • [14:19] <@[Chair]Drew> Sweet
  • [14:21] <James[Code_SB]> Oh and onthe code side I see Jonas has stared work on the FOP upgrade which is fantastic - that one will be very nice
  • [14:21] <@[Chair]Drew> Yeah, I had to upgrade his JIRA to developer, ;)
  • [14:22] <James[Code_SB]> Thanks for that
  • [14:22] <@[Chair]Drew> No problem.
  • [14:22] <James[Code_SB]> ok, that's about all from code and release
  • [14:22] * @[Chair]Drew waves to Jonas aka jujutsunerd
  • [14:22] <@[Chair]Drew> That nicely covers the first two agenda items
  • [14:22] <@[Chair]Drew> any questions for James?
  • [14:23] <@[Chair]Drew> #3 Concerns for Data or Code then.....
  • [14:23] <@[Chair]Drew> I'll start by saying, Crossblooded Sorcerer is a MESS to expand.
  • [14:24] <James[Code_SB]> That's from ultimate magic?
  • [14:24] <@[Chair]Drew> I've spent well over 12 hours fixing this up and it's still gonna need more work... so that's been my focus for the last couple of days.
  • [14:24] <@[Chair]Drew> Yes
  • [14:24] <James[Code_SB]> yikes
  • [14:24] <@[Chair]Drew> It needs to be expandable for any new Sorcerer Bloodline
  • [14:24] <James[Code_SB]> Ah ok
  • [14:24] <@[Chair]Drew> Basically, you need to make two bloodlines.
  • [14:25] <@[Chair]Drew> It was brought up for the Orcs of Golarion as a user tried to get it to work.
  • [14:25] <@[Chair]Drew> So, I've overhauled the entire system and found a disturbing Code Bug
  • [14:25] <James[Code_SB]> oh?
  • [14:26] <@[Chair]Drew> Once I figured out the code bug, I was able to stop banging my head against the keyboard in frustration and get the stupid thing working.
  • [14:26] <@[Chair]Drew> Yes
  • [14:26] <@[Chair]Drew> It didn't like me using Feats as a Display location
  • [14:27] <@[Chair]Drew> once I moved from Feats, it would work. I'll send you a write up and let you debug it. Save me some grief in the future... so end result, Sorcerer Feats are now under class abilities, and not the feats section
  • [14:27] <James[Code_SB]> hmm, ok - that sounds odd
  • [14:27] <@[Chair]Drew> (Refused to display or bonus the pool)
  • [14:28] <@[Chair]Drew> yeah, I think it may be Feats causing an issue.
  • [14:28] <James[Code_SB]> k
  • [14:28] <@[Chair]Drew> Other Data concerns - hmm, I've been stomping bugs as they arise and backporting them... the only one I'm not backporting is this elegant mess of Crossblooded. It's gonna break characters, so it's staying development line only.
  • [14:29] *** jujutsunerd has quit IRC: Read error: Connection reset by peer
  • [14:29] <James[Code_SB]> Ah now that was something else I wanted to discuss - character migration
  • [14:30] <@[Chair]Drew> Let's discuss... we need to make it easier :)
  • [14:30] <James[Code_SB]> I've introduced the concept of version based character migration for the equipment set issue I was working on
  • [14:30] <@[Chair]Drew> Nice
  • [14:30] <James[Code_SB]> My next step is to allow key changes - we've discusssed abilities and sources in the past
  • [14:30] <James[Code_SB]> So you might have a new renames.lst game mode file
  • [14:31] <James[Code_SB]> which has entries for abilities that get renamed for character earlier than a specific version
  • [14:31] <@[Chair]Drew> very nice. I like.
  • [14:32] <James[Code_SB]> e.g. for characters earlier than 6.1.2, rename category:trait key:foo to Key:Foo ~ traits
  • [14:32] <James[Code_SB]> and a similar thing for sources
  • [14:32] <James[Code_SB]> allowing us to avoid getting the player involved in our housekeeping
  • [14:32] <@[Chair]Drew> very awesome, I'm behind this idea 100%
  • [14:33] <James[Code_SB]> ok, I'll post a proposal to _exp then
  • [14:33] <James[Code_SB]> Of course I need to clear the other stuff first
  • [14:33] <@[Chair]Drew> housekeeping and such for backwards compatibility has been hindering much needed improvements driving us away from innovation
  • [14:33] <James[Code_SB]> and decide which is more urgent to start next
  • [14:33] <@[Chair]Drew> this would rectify that issue and help in the long run.
  • [14:34] <@[Chair]Drew> Well, that leads into my question: Where are we on the Data Team Wish lists?
  • [14:34] <James[Code_SB]> Absolutely
  • [14:34] <@[Chair]Drew> DEFINESTAT and the Template Engine and such.
  • [14:34] <James[Code_SB]> As it is pretty much only me - and I have a full dabce card - not moving fast there
  • [14:34] <@[Chair]Drew> among other high request items
  • [14:35] <@[Chair]Drew> dabce card?
  • [14:35] <James[Code_SB]> I did add freemarker support when I added the data variable report
  • [14:35] <James[Code_SB]> *dance card
  • [14:35] <@[Chair]Drew> :)
  • [14:36] <James[Code_SB]> that was the first step in the new template engine, but next is the hard part fo integrating it into the output
  • [14:36] <James[Code_SB]> I'd like to wrap up the removal of the old ui code first, of which the chooser issue is a part
  • [14:37] <@[Chair]Drew> Sounds like a mess...
  • [14:38] <@[Chair]Drew> Obviously, I say clean up blockers to other items first
  • [14:38] <James[Code_SB]> yeah I have a long queue of stuff - problem of being the only active dev right now
  • [14:38] <@[Chair]Drew> finish the work already started.
  • [14:38] <@[Chair]Drew> Any word from Tom?
  • [14:38] <@[Chair]Drew> or Devon?
  • [14:38] <@[Chair]Drew> or the new recruits?
  • [14:39] <James[Code_SB]> Not lately - we were expecting both to be tied up wiht real life for some time though
  • [14:39] <James[Code_SB]> Haven't heard a peep from the new recruits
  • [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Maybe a prod email to see where they are... perhaps have an easy code task to get them started if they don't have anything set in mind.
  • [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Also, Henk has a nice Github setup for cloning the SVN, if they want to work on his and offer up patches???
  • [14:41] <@[Chair]Drew> not sure if GIT vs. SVN is an issue, but removing any barriers to new folks is a worthy goal
  • [14:41] <James[Code_SB]> Yes I am strating to wonder if that would make thuings easier - the new sourceforge subversion is really difficult to get started with
  • [14:42] <James[Code_SB]> I'm dissapointed that they did that - it is a poor outcome fo the migration
  • [14:42] <@[Chair]Drew> I must admit, tortoisegit makes using SSH keys easy, unlike tortoisesvn.
  • [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> I struggled to get the Svn working for me, and I'm dedicated. It's a nice feature ONCE WORKING, but getting there is a bucketfull of frustrations
  • [14:43] <James[Code_SB]> The plan would be to get back to https not ssh - even github prefers https
  • [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> we can use https, but we lose the code update notfications
  • [14:44] <James[Code_SB]> k, might be time to raise a bug with them - also to get the old repo locked
  • [14:45] <@[Chair]Drew> if the ssh is the issue, then we can have folks move to https, the new repo still supports it, but SF folks want the ssh.
  • [14:46] <@[Chair]Drew> Did you want to raise a ticket with SF, and I'll do a gentle "How are you" email to the new coder(s)?
  • [14:47] <@[Chair]Drew> See about easing your load a little bit.
  • [14:47] <James[Code_SB]> Yep sounds good
  • [14:47] <@[Chair]Drew> I'll see where I kept the new volunteers - I should start a list - keep easier track.
  • [14:48] <@[Chair]Drew> Any other code or data concerns?
  • [14:48] <James[Code_SB]> That's all from me
  • [14:48] * @[Chair]Drew looks at Papa
  • [14:48] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Yes?
  • [14:48] <@[Chair]Drew> Any other Data or Code concerns?
  • [14:49] <@[Chair]Drew> :)
  • [14:49] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Nope. I have not been real active lately. Lots of real life going on.
  • [14:49] <@[Chair]Drew> Sorry to hear that. Hopefully good real life and not that bad stressful stuff.... anyways, that brings us to you...
  • [14:49] <@[Chair]Drew> 4) PR Updates for Ennies and other news
  • [14:50] <@[Chair]Drew> Do you have any updates or news regarding this?
  • [14:50] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> No. Paul was handling the Ennie stuff
  • [14:51] <@[Chair]Drew> Hmm, also, we have at least one publisher we need to contact. Alluria Publishing 'Remarkable Races'
  • [14:51] <@[Chair]Drew> I did some work, but can't push anything up till we have a reply from them. Any chance you could handle that David?
  • [14:51] <@[Chair]Drew> (Or do I need to prod Paul?)
  • [14:52] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Ok. I'll contact them. Is the contact info on the wiki?
  • [14:52] <@[Chair]Drew> No, but I'll send you the details I have...
  • [14:52] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Ok, thanks
  • [14:52] <@[Chair]Drew> Okay, so we need a Follow up from Paul on the Ennies and any other news then.
  • [14:53] <James[Code_SB]> and get people voting
  • [14:53] <@[Chair]Drew> Which means our remaining minutes leads us into "OPEN FORUM"
  • [14:53] <@[Chair]Drew> My first question is what is up with our Website progress. :)
  • [14:54] <@[Chair]Drew> But that would require Anestis for follow up
  • [14:55] <@[Chair]Drew> I'm itching to get a nice Forum/Mailing solution. Forums are looking nicer. And would lend more support to our users.
  • [14:56] <@[Chair]Drew> I think that's my only open issues... anyone else for open forum?
  • [14:57] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Not from me...
  • [14:57] <@[Chair]Drew> (Any observers may ask questions, comments or whatever)
  • [14:57] <James[Code_SB]> My other item is meeting times
  • [14:58] <@[Chair]Drew> Go ahead James
  • [14:58] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> We really need to get the web stuff going so we can have a reasonably nice meeting thing. Yahoo group really sux when it comes to that.
  • [14:58] <James[Code_SB]> With the swap of daylight savings, this is a bit early for a Saturday - any chance of making it a bit later?
  • [14:59] <Rallaster> I had some questions about feat implementation, and specific feats, but I completely forgot which feats I was wondering about. :facepalm:
  • [14:59] <@[Chair]Drew> I'm fine with later
  • [14:59] <James[Code_SB]> How about you David?
  • [14:59] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Me too. Send me an email about times and I'll change it on Yahoo
  • [14:59] <@[Chair]Drew> @Rallaster - I can help you, but that isn't much for a board meeting...
  • [15:00] <James[Code_SB]> Thanks
  • [15:00] <James[Code_SB]> The meeting time slot earlier in the week is also at a time that I can't make and I think it is a problem for you Andrew?
  • [15:01] <@[Chair]Drew> Well ---
  • [15:01] <@[Chair]Drew> My work schedule is changing in July again
  • [15:01] <Rallaster> My question was about whether specific feats were left out due to coding issues or legal issues
  • [15:01] <@[Chair]Drew> I'll be back to available Tuesdays
  • [15:01] <@[Chair]Drew> and Fridays
  • [15:01] <@[Chair]Drew> Tuesday I'm happy with whatever works for James
  • [15:02] <James[Code_SB]> ok, so if we can make that one an hour later that will be in my lunch time
  • [15:02] <@[Chair]Drew> Sounds good.
  • [15:03] <James[Code_SB]> Great - thanks for that
  • [15:04] <@[Chair]Drew> no problem, rather have happy board meetings than no board meetings. ;)
  • [15:04] <James[Code_SB]> Indeed! :)
  • [15:04] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> James is the one hour later for this meeting? or for the Tuesday evening meeting (my time)?
  • [15:05] <@[Chair]Drew> @Rallaster - To answer your question: If the feat in question is in a 'Closed Content Book', then we won't include it in our release. PCGen is committed to following the OGL and beyond.
  • [15:05] <James[Code_SB]> Tuesday definitely and this one if it works for everyone
  • [15:06] <@[Chair]Drew> It's on the earlier side for me (Coming off work normally) but it's still working for me.
  • [15:06] <James[Code_SB]> Would later be better or worse for you?
  • [15:06] <@[Chair]Drew> @James - Later, I'm barely waking up at 2pm
  • [15:06] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> So I will change the Tuesday evening (eastern us) meeting to one hour later, and the Friday 1700 (eastern us) meeting to one hour later.
  • [15:07] <James[Code_SB]> Sounds good - thanks David
  • [15:07] <@[Chair]Drew> @Mallaster - However, myself and others are always willing to assist you in coding up those feats for personal use.
  • [15:07] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> When does your time change again?
  • [15:07] <James[Code_SB]> April and October
  • [15:08] <PapaDRB[Ad_2nd]> Ok. So after the change we are good till October, then change again in November when our change is.
  • [15:09] <James[Code_SB]> Yep - although I can make the later meetign in october ok, so we could do a single change in Nov
  • [15:09] <Rallaster> Ok, thanks. I'll have to see which feats, specifically, I'm looking for and post on the group page.
  • [15:11] <@[Chair]Drew> @James - Are we due for any maintenance updates in Jira?
  • [15:11] <James[Code_SB]> Hmm, we are running 5.2.0 and the current is 5.2.11 but there is no security reason to upgrade
  • [15:12] <James[Code_SB]> 6.0 will be out soon, so I was planning to wait for that
  • [15:12] <@[Chair]Drew> Fair enough. Unless it has a feature we *must* have, I can wait :)
  • [15:12] <James[Code_SB]> Oh and I met a bunch of the Atlassian folk last week - which was cool
  • [15:12] <@[Chair]Drew> Nice :)
  • [15:12] * @[Chair]Drew is jealous
  • [15:13] <James[Code_SB]> Their main office is in Sydney and their second is in San Francisco - I visited the Sydney office
  • [15:14] <James[Code_SB]> ok, nothing more from me
  • [15:14] <@[Chair]Drew> SF is a couple hour drive for me. ;)
  • [15:15] <James[Code_SB]> Likewise Sydney fro me :)
  • [15:15] <@[Chair]Drew> Alright, I think we've covered enough for one day.
  • [15:15] <@[Chair]Drew> *bangs gavel* Thanks for coming everyone. Meeting is closed.
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Start
Teams
Community
Strategic Development
Misc
Toolbox