Meeting 2017 01 21

From PCGen
Jump to: navigation, search

Board of Directors Meeting -- January 21st, 2017

Attending

  • Andrew Maitland (Chair & Content SB)
  • Tom Parker (Arch SB)
  • Paul Grosse (PR SB)
  • Stefan Radermacher (OS 2nd)
  • David Bender (Observer)

Summary

  • 6.07.01 Released
  • Andrew reports several volunteers have come forward, and hopes they'll stick around to contribute some big things. Even have a 5e output sheet volunteer!
  • PR reports issues with pcgen.sh file for the Linux users (End of Line problem with the file being handled on Windows) & Java Load Errors.
  • Stefan reports issues with a unit test completely failing on Mac devices
  • Tom says he will not blog anything until he finishes implementing the fixes to the formula system.
  • Andrew has moved Publisher updates to the Wiki which features each game system, publisher and the titles released under those publishers
  • Andrew also created a wiki page documenting the new Formula System Related tags
  • Devs will discuss opening up Gatekeeper changes to allow for a balance between speed and proper reviews. Prompted by the backlog of PRs pending reviews.


Raw Log

  • 6:16 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Welcome everyone to the first meeting of 2017 - It is January 21st.
  • 6:16 AM <[Chair]Andrew> For the Agenda I have:
  • 6:16 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Team Reports + Project Statuses
  • 6:17 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Open Discussions
  • 6:17 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Fairly simple today, I'll start it off for the Content team.
  • 6:17 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Content had over 120+ Bugs and Features addressed for the recent 6.07.01 Release
  • 6:18 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Andrew has been working on and off with Tom debugging the new formula system in different branches behind the scenes
  • 6:19 AM *** PapaDRB has joined #pcgen
  • 6:19 AM <[Chair]Andrew> We have been approached by several people expressing interest in volunteering, one such was a completely different project entirely. Silverbacks have been included in those communications
  • 6:20 AM <[Chair]Andrew> My most recent is interested in working on the 5e Preview sheets and Outputsheets. Hoping those bear some fruit. :)
  • 6:21 AM <[Chair]Andrew> For the docs - I've placed all the new Formula System related tags on the wiki for easier reference
  • 6:21 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Any questions before we move to PR and then Arch?
  • 6:21 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> not from me
  • 6:21 AM <@Zaister> no
  • 6:22 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> nONE FROM ME
  • 6:22 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Okay Paul - Anything to report for PR?
  • 6:23 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Nothing much, found where to get GitHub stats
  • 6:23 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Send the 6.07.01 press releases
  • 6:23 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Sent
  • 6:24 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> We are still getting the "Can't load PCGen" java issue ocassionally
  • 6:25 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Andrew and I need to find a couple of people to field customer support for when we have to sleep. :)
  • 6:25 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Yeah, I'm getting a lot of people hitting the various channels off-hours for us.
  • 6:25 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> And finally 5e needs a export output sheet. Stealing one from 35e/pathfinder doesn't have the prof bonus in the calc's
  • 6:26 AM <[Chair]Andrew> This is news to me...
  • 6:26 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> There are a couple of people working on importing the xml into another app
  • 6:27 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Just heard about it wed from Lee that did the android app
  • 6:27 AM <@Zaister> Do have anyone who actually plays 5e?
  • 6:27 AM <@Zaister> +we
  • 6:27 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> I do, but only once a month
  • 6:27 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Yeah, I play 5e
  • 6:27 AM <@Zaister> but you know what needs to go on the sheet
  • 6:27 AM <[Chair]Andrew> And the sheets I used had Prof bonuses
  • 6:27 AM <@Zaister> I don't :)
  • 6:29 AM <[Chair]Andrew> I'll double check the gamemode and make sure the one we release has the 5e folder used.
  • 6:29 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Anything else Paul?
  • 6:29 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Nope, any questions?
  • 6:30 AM <[Chair]Andrew> None from me.
  • 6:30 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> none here either
  • 6:31 AM *** mizu_no_oto has quit IRC: Quit: Computer has gone to sleep.
  • 6:31 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Okay Tom, anything to report from the Java side of things for Code/Arch?
  • 6:32 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Working on the issues you've found with the new formula system - some are pretty subtle and are taking some design work to make sure a fix actually works and doesn't just move the issue to another place
  • 6:32 AM *** mizu_no_oto has joined #pcgen
  • 6:33 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> So unfortunately, no code in place on those, as some of it is finding ways I can't fix it :)
  • 6:34 AM *** mizu_no_oto has quit IRC: Client Quit
  • 6:34 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Really looking at getting those items fixed so the formula system will work in a stable way before I go documenting further (like the blog post mentioned on HipChat)
  • 6:34 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> or perhaps I should say advertising further
  • 6:37 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Any questions?
  • 6:37 AM <[Chair]Andrew> A couple:
  • 6:37 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Do you have any ETA for potential fixes?
  • 6:37 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> no
  • 6:38 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Will you be able to tackle any of the pending PRs? At last count we had at least 59 in the queue...
  • 6:38 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> yes, probably tomorrow. I have commitments for most of today
  • 6:38 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Eitan/Grim Reaper has been very very busy.
  • 6:40 AM <[Chair]Andrew> actually one more question -
  • 6:41 AM <[Chair]Andrew> In light of our Code Teams' being busy through the holidays into this new year, should we consider allowing Stefan to merge code PRs that he feels comfortable with approving?
  • 6:43 AM *** mizu_no_oto has joined #pcgen
  • 6:44 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Let me think about how we widen the approval process ... obviously a balancing act between speed and not getting something that breaks other things
  • 6:44 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> I'll think and then put something across _dev for folks to ponder
  • 6:44 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Cool.
  • 6:45 AM <@Zaister> ok
  • 6:45 AM <[Chair]Andrew> For the Admin report - a Big thanks to Jamie (Web) for addressing a spam issue.
  • 6:46 AM <[Chair]Andrew> That wraps up team reports. Open Forum - Any new business, concerns, or questions to bring before the board?
  • 6:48 AM <[Chair]Andrew> I'll start with a quick note - I had to personally alter the build process in order for 6.07.01 to be possible. Our multi-language build ran into issue with PERL as upgrading apparently lost some functionality. Using PERL no longer works - this impacted the Publisher List check we had.
  • 6:49 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Which prompted me to make a WIKI page with All Game Systems, Publishers and their Released Sources
  • 6:49 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Which I think is a reasonable alternative.
  • 6:49 AM <@Zaister> I've had some problems running tests from gradle when I tried to track down a problem for Andrew, not sure if a local problem or something wrong with gradle
  • 6:50 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> The new version of gradle has been ... interesting
  • 6:50 AM <[Chair]Andrew> The gradle upgrades have been breaking things, this was a known issue why we didn't upgrade in the first place.
  • 6:50 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> The formula library currently can't build
  • 6:51 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> the fix is in place, but last I checked still hadn't been included in a "production build"
  • 6:51 AM <@Zaister> did we upgrade out gradle?
  • 6:51 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> (of gradle, not in our control)
  • 6:51 AM <[Chair]Andrew> We have, and apparently there is another upgrade to 3.3 in the 59+ PR queue
  • 6:51 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> yes, one of the PRs at some point upgraded gradle
  • 6:52 AM <@Zaister> ah
  • 6:52 AM <[Chair]Andrew> We also have Javier's build enhancement that was supposed to address several issues.
  • 6:52 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> I spent a bunch of time getting javacc builds to work again in the formula library
  • 6:52 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> had to change the structure pretty significantly
  • 6:52 AM *** mizu_no_oto has quit IRC: Quit: Computer has gone to sleep.
  • 6:53 AM <[Chair]Andrew> ouch! That isn't good.
  • 6:53 AM <@Zaister> Also theres an encoding problem with tests, it uses "Niederösterreich" somewhere in the name generator, and on a Mac this errors out
  • 6:53 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> hmm
  • 6:53 AM <[Chair]Andrew> I know about that test, it is supposed to test fancier characters.
  • 6:53 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> Obvious solution, Burn all the Mac's :)
  • 6:54 AM <@Zaister> :)
  • 6:54 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> That is also used through a lot of token tests, so if that's a problem, we will need to look further
  • 6:54 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Can you do the utests cleanly?
  • 6:54 AM <@Zaister> yes its the Token tests I think
  • 6:54 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Also the SH file is broken each time I build on windows
  • 6:54 AM <@Zaister> I'll try
  • 6:55 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> I think this needs to be documented somehwere on _dev or jira rather than just a conversation here
  • 6:55 AM <[Chair]Andrew> (another reason I'm pushing for Javier's build)
  • 6:55 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Unit tests or the SH issue?
  • 6:55 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> That's something that is annoying for linux users.
  • 6:56 AM <@Zaister> Paul: what is annoying?
  • 6:56 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> the SH breaking every build
  • 6:56 AM <[Chair]Andrew> I might spin up a linux ubuntu build to create a sh file, but that is a hassle. One of the reasons I'm trying to get the build process handled by the Jenkins method.
  • 6:56 AM <@Zaister> hm I don't experience that
  • 6:57 AM <[Chair]Andrew> LF vs CRLF I think is the problem.
  • 6:57 AM <@Zaister> ah ... bilt on windows, got it
  • 6:57 AM <@Zaister> built
  • 6:58 AM <@Zaister> Tom: I can't run "itest", that gives lots of failures
  • 6:58 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> @Andrew: yes. If something is broken - for whatever reason - and it's not in JIRA, then it's hard to know or remember it needs to be fixed. I know people don't always like process, but documenting problems is one of those it's not good to skip
  • 6:58 AM <[Chair]Andrew> The SH is a code bug, IIRC
  • 6:59 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Do you get a specific message on the itest failures?
  • 6:59 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> (and I'm going to need to run here in a minute)
  • 6:59 AM <[Chair]Andrew> It is in JIRA, under an admin tracker I think.
  • 6:59 AM <@Zaister> yes, let me pastebin them
  • 7:00 AM <[OGL]Nylanfs> The SH doesn't change from build to build right? Could one of the last release steps is to copy an old one that works into the zip file?
  • 7:00 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Possible, but I think the main issue is by having it on Windows we mess it up.
  • 7:01 AM <@Zaister> Tom: I'll put it on JIRA then, there a huge log
  • 7:01 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> ok
  • 7:01 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> thanks
  • 7:01 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> I need to duck out anyway
  • 7:01 AM <Tom[Arch_SB]> Have a good day, all
  • 7:01 AM <[Chair]Andrew> Sounds like a good time to end the meeting. Thanks for coming everyone!